Monday, April 18, 2005

Hogy Lehetséges Az Hogy



Your Linguistic Profile:



75% General American English

20% Dixie

5% Yankee

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern



What Kind of American English Do You Speak?

Quiz found via EGO

I grew up in VA, and my family is all from the south, so it makes sense that I'd be more Dixie than Yank ;) I've never been to the Mid-West, so I wouldn't have picked up any of their accent. One funny fact about me, I tend to pick up accents depending on who I'm around. I have a Hungarian friend who made the greatest difference in my speech pattern. For a while I hung out with a bunch of Brazilians and developed a subsequent tinge to my speech. You can definitely tell who I've been hanging out with recently, and it really has nothing to do with me wanting to imitate them, but more to do with me wanting to be understood, so I tend to speak to people the way I hear them. I think it's like a subconcious admiration too. I may love the way a person's voice sounds and so incorporate aspects of it the way friends often pick up slang words and other speech habits. It's a little embarrassing sometimes though, as though I have to conciously tell myself to cut it out and force the words to come out straight and unaccented. If I get excited I definitely fall back on an accent, same thing if I get angry. I guess I fall back on the one that conveys the most to me of what I am trying to get across. Hmm, interesting stuff to think about.

Here's something else interesting. There's a site called Language Exchange where you can learn to speak another language by communicating directly with someone in the country whose language you want to learn. I might just have to check that out later-pick up a few more accents. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home