Friday, February 11, 2005

Interview with Christopher Hitchens

I was recommended to read this interview on Front Page Mag with Christopher Hitchens, and I must say I was quite pleased. It covers topics ranging from from the war, to religion, Mother Theresa and Bill Clinton. In turn, I recomemend it to you dear reader. The bases are pretty well covered in this one, and it is definitely worth your time.
Click Here to read it now.

Thank you to my anonymous contributor. This one was spot on!

Here's the link to the rest of Christopher Hitchens' articles. I'm going to read through them and perhaps post more on him if he turns out a consistent good read.

Comments are welcome as this interview is sure to offend someone on some point or another.
:0)

I'm sure I'll find some things to disagree with him myself on at some point, but for now I'll enjoy the glow of appreciation that came from a first blush interview.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris Granger said...

Christopher Hitchens is great. I say this without yet reading his interview with Front Page Magazine. I've seen him interviewed on several shows and he's always struck me as being brilliant, outspoken and sincere. Plus you've got to love the guy's Dean Martin-esque style - he usually appears on TV quaffing bourbon (?) while chain-smoking.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hitchens is the champion of what has come to be known as the contrarian school. He likes to pick apart shibboleths. As Sarah Beth correctly surmises, sooner or later he'll piss everyone off on one issue or another. I'm really intrigued by his midlife conversion from liberal to, well, hard to say he's a conservative... But he's an absolute post 9-11 hawk on the war on terror. Doesn't make him a conservative or a republican, and in fact, he retains lots of heavy leftist baggage. But on this one issue -- terrorism -- he has totally broken with leftwing intellectualism, and his former fellow travelers have cast him out. This is particularly revealing of the left, that its adherents have thrown in their lot with the Islamo-fascists. If the Jihad ever arrives on our shores again, and no doubt it will eventually, the Islamists will seek to destroy all of the fondest totems of the American left. Hitchens understands that we are in an epochal clash of civilizations. One in which Western liberal democracy must prevail.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah Beth said...

Yeah, I looked him up in Wikipedia and was startled at how all over the map he is. Doesn't make me dislike him off the top though, just makes me curious if he actually stands for anything, or if he just likes to be difficult. He's well spoken though, and you can't fault someone for holding wrong ideas if they make a concious effort to change and grow as they learn. And he doesn't shy from the fact that his ideas have changed over the years, he seems open about it. Definitely one to watch though, I'm intrigued.

9:53 AM  
Blogger M.T. Daffenberg said...

Anonymous,

Way to feed the culture of fear. Utilitarianism doesn't work--too many contradictions.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home