Monday, February 07, 2005

In Search of Buckyballs

While looking up information prompted by a comment on TEW here which referenced buckyballs, I came across several sites I'm going to need to take a better look at.

I found some more helpful information about the progress being made in QM, at this section of the Wikipedia. It is in discussion format so it is an interesting look, both at QM and at the way Wikipedia is put together. There are alot of links on the page I'll need to puruse before I can articulate any more on the actual content of the discussion itself.

Another source of information, this one regarding CMP can be found here:


In trying to understand the properties of matter, one must contend with the fact that matter is made up of a large number of microscopic consituents. As Einstein showed in his investigation of diffusion nearly 100 years ago, therein lie the secrets to many of the mysterious properties of matter. In fractionalized states, there are particle-like excitations which have quantum numbers which are fractions of the quantum numbers of electrons.


And this article which I can hardly understand a word of, but I'm learning a new vocabulary trying :) :


The rich diversity of structure in molecular systems is made possible by the profound asymmetries between the nuclear forces and electromagnetism. Although molecular dynamics is founded on electromagnetic orbitals, the diversity of the elements and their asymmetric charge structure, with electrons captured by a spectrum of positively charged nuclei, is made possible through the divergence of symmetry of the four fundamental forces.
The strong force mesons gain mass from a different mechanism, being the energies of the bound states of the colour force, whose gluons are massless, but confined. The separation of gravity from the other forces is more fundamental because it involves the structure of space-time and may be described by a higher-dimensional superstring force in which particles become excited loops or strings in a higher dimensional space-time which is compactified into our 4-dimensional form (Green 1985, 1986, Goldman et.al. 1988, Freedman & van Nieuwenhuizen 1985).


And this looks to be the most helpful, but will take me quite some time to get through also:
The Quantum Monte Carlo Methods in the Study of Nanostructures.

All of these are a bit technical for my understanding, but I still can glean alot from reading through them, and it helps me to learn the terms. I seem to go back and forth between these and the layman's explanations. I'm still looking for what my commenter was referencing, if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

UPDATE:
Thanks to Andrew for providing the sources which I have yet to read:
Physics Today requires a subscription,
as does Nature to review back issues,
so I may be stuck going to the library until I can afford the investment. Nevertheless it is a place to start. :)

And I found a couple of blogs that also discuss these :
There's this article on Nanotechnology which leads us to this article.
This blog also briefly discusses the phenomenon.
Here we have some info on Nanotechnology and the law.
Also this article on The Advent of Nanotechnology.

A-ha, the Buckminster Fuller Institute. This should be a very good place to start. I'll post more as i read through these articles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home