Sunday, January 23, 2005

Ki: Theory

Been thinking that no good music exists anymore? Me too. The same repetitive 4-8 count beat, over and over, in four songs per genre, on every station, everywhere. It's enough to make me throw out my radio the same as I threw out my TV.
In pursuit of something REAL, I recently re-ordered my old favorites: Ki Theory (a band I knew in VA before moving here to FL. I saw them as many weekends as would permit, at Zigs, TT Reynolds, their turf in Richmond, and even drove to NYC to see them perform for the labels in SoHo/Greenwich in 2001, and barring the unfortunate events of that same year, I have no doubt they'd be a househod name by now).
But, life goes on, and the band as I knew it split up by now, but Joel, the lead singer and creator is still going strong. When I contacted him to get a copy of the old cd, he offered me a demo that is being prepared for his own new release. It's a totally new flavor, and at first I was skeptical. But I am happy to report that his original beats, and harmony, are back under my skin as only Ki: Theory can be, and I am just as much in love with this album, as every one of the previous. It is fresh, current, talented, beautiful, haunting, melodic, and oh so real. It just goes to show who the real heart and soul of Ki: Theory was all along. Joel is Ki:Theory, and the breakup of the band has not ripped the rug from under the music, but rather given it a totally new height. I am emphatically behind this band, and reccommend to everyone that this is the band to watch (or the man). The link is permanently in my side bar and has been for a while now. Check it out.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike Farmer said...

Good music still exists. Like Primus. Primus is awesome. They have their own original funky sound. Check em out.

1:00 AM  
Blogger M.T. Daffenberg said...

I don't think Sarah is dismissing all contemporary music, Mike. I think she's saying that with a little digging, we can move beyond the music we are force fed via radio waves. I agree, Primus is great. Original, strange bass lines hold melodies and the guitar whirs up and down, back and forth, in jazzy runs that often sound improv.

Sarah, if you want a taste of some real strange, original music created by some intelligent people, you should also check out The Residents. Sorry, I don't have any references (didn't look b4 I commented), but I bet you can do a search--if you find a bunch of guys with eyeballs for heads, and the lead guy has a sort of skull mask, that's them.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Sarah Beth said...

Thanks both of you. Yes I know of Primus, and I do like their stuff. I was referring more to the new music that has been coming out lately. The Residents huh, eyeballs for heads. Alright, sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Chris Granger said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Chris Granger said...

On your suggestion, Sarah Beth, I checked out their website a few weeks back and downloaded the video for the song, "Ghosts". It's a haunting song (PUN!) and unique. I'd like to hear more.

I have a much bigger penis than the ex-lead singer. He has more talent than penis. But talent never kept the heat on in anyone's house, now did it?

10:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah Beth said...

Does your penis? Keep the heat on?

12:38 PM  
Blogger jomama said...

I agree that most contemporary music is crap,
(I know you didn't say it precisely like that)
but I've been a jazz fan for so many years that
almost nothing else blows my skirt up. In fact,
I can't stand listening to most of it.

Enigma gets my attention tho.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Sarah Beth said...

I enjoy Enigma also. What else do you like??

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home