Saturday, January 29, 2005

Aren't You Glad...

You don't have to flee your country on a RAFT ? Whatever we may say about the things American government does wrong you don't exactly see Americans on a raft headed for any other country do you? Hell, you hardly see us leaving this country on first class airplanes. (Yet.)

That Ayn Rand LIVED?

The key to Rand's popularity is that she appeals to the idealism of youth. She wrote in 1969: "There is a fundamental conviction which some people never acquire, some hold only in their youth, and a few hold to the end of their days--the conviction that ideas matter." The nature of this conviction? "That ideas matter means that knowledge matters, that truth matters, that one's mind matters. And the radiance of that certainty, in the process of growing up, is the best aspect of youth."
"To take ideas seriously," Rand states, "means that you intend to live by, to practice, any idea you accept as true," that you recognize "that truth and knowledge are of crucial, personal, selfish importance to you and to your own life."
It remains, however, all too common for a young person to be told that his interest in Ayn Rand is a stage he will soon grow out of. "It's fine to believe in that now," the refrain goes, "but wait until you're older. You'll discover that life is not like that."

But when one actually considers the essence of what Rand teaches, the accusation that her philosophy is childish over-simplification stands as condemnation not of her ideas but of the adult world from which the accusation stems.


And that Advertising isn't restrained to exterior mediums anymore. Now you can advertise your favorite brand/product by tattooing it on your own body-for life- and for a hefty fee. Don't you wish your arm said pilldaddy.com-and made you $1000 in the process?

(parenthesis added after jomama's comments)

5 Comments:

Blogger jomama said...

"Hell, you hardly see us leaving this country on first class airplanes."

I did.

Never regretted it.

I predict that you will want to one day.

Badly.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Sarah Beth said...

Really? Where are you now? I think about it, don't get me wrong. I was just trying to be positive is all. I spend so much time trashing everything I feel like, and it was getting me down. I would go to Australia if anywhere. More and more these days I think about it, but I don't have enough experience to know what's beter. What's better about where you are?

2:21 PM  
Blogger M.T. Daffenberg said...

Don't you dare turn me into a preachy old man just because I told you I used to agree more with the objectivist philosophy when I was younger! (ha ha) Seriously, I never was into Rand from the first book I read of hers--"Philosophy, Who Needs It." But I persisted because of certain friends of mine and read most of "Atlas Shrugged." Rand is like a buffet for me--I like some, dare say most, of the things she says, but her view on altruism seems more an adult idea than childlike enthusiasm. (And I don't mean to imply her philosophy is immature; I hope it seems obvious that I respect her as an intellect and philosopher.) I like the quote you pulled. Its lesson applies to more than just Randian thought.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Sarah Beth said...

Absolutely. It applies to all thought :) Old man ;)

9:31 AM  
Blogger CW Fisher said...

What I liked about Ayn Rand was great gams.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home