Wednesday, December 01, 2004

20 years later and it's still 1984

So it's come at last, the railing on Bush post. Lets start with the economy. I have an IRA and a VUL and I've been looking for other ways to invest. Now with Bush at the helm, I'm getting the creepy feeling that I ought to close all my accounts and hoard my money in a deep hole somewhere that noone else can get at it. And I don't have shit. Why oh why are we so in debt. Because we consume more then we produce? What is going on here? Now my taxes are going to growing Social Insecurity which I don't agree with, I can't afford to pay for college out right and I'm scared to even think about student loans. Think it isn't scary? My 24 yr old friend just declared bankruptcy. I rang up a suffocating amount of debt in the 2 years I did attend college, and I had to move back in with my Mom and work 7 days a week for almost a year to get out of it. I'm not doing that again.

"Bush and his Republican machine have mortgaged young Americans’ futures by running up record deficits, even as he has sent hundreds of us to our deaths in Iraq. Rock the Vote and other youth-vote organizations successfully excited people’s passions before the election by raising questions about a possible draft, enough that Bush was compelled to deny the plan publicly. But with the fires still burning in Falluja, and the drums starting to beat for Iran and North Korea, it’s hard to believe that promise won’t be broken, along with so many others. In Bush’s America, the real opportunity for young people doesn’t wear a cap and gown—it wears a helmet and boots. " -But Boot Camp is Still Free by Anya Kamenetz

I want to move to New York, but I don't know if I can compete with the Bright Lights and Big Rent Check. And when the hell am I ever going to finish school if I do that? What's my other choice? Move back in with the Moms and keep working my way through community college, no thanks. That's a last resort. I think I will finish an Associates or something at least pretty soon here. That's about all that seems feasible. You can see why I currently am studying independently. I am not eager to join Generation Debt.

Not to mention what appears to be a frightening trend back towards the Middle Ages, with our own American President having been goaded into a leading role in the crusade. America seems suddenly like a very powerful hypocrisy, and I'm quite concerned we are going to implode and become the black hole that sucks at the rest of humanity. With religion gaining control again, we can feel sure that this is becoming an increasingly dangerous and volatile world. One bright spot is the progress being made in world trading procedure, but then you see the opposite effect happening with this globalization also, for instance the war on tobacco. One really is reminded of the sub-grade ciggarettes provided in Orwell's classic. We forget, when we think of "the good of the people" that the "people" are individuals who are perfectly capable of making their own decisions and that it really isn't all that appealing to have a government locally, much less world wide, acting as our collective parents. Suddenly even the simple act of turning off the lights when you leave a room can become the stuff of public policy.

But if you're getting discouraged, here's a look at the slow but steady growth of another Individualist Woman, Isabel Patterson. She had to fight seemingly insurmountable odds, and she rose to set an example for the rest of us. If we can learn to think and speak with our own voices, we can make progress towards that brighter future we envisioned as being ours.


2 Comments:

Blogger jomama said...

I like your blog, your attitude and subject
matter. We have many of the same interests
so I'm putting a link to your blog on mine.
Take a look at mine to see if you'd like to
reciprocate.

cheers...

3:55 PM  
Blogger Sarah Beth said...

Why thank you, I have added your link and I found your site very interesting as well. Esp. the post about spirals:)

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home